JingJing's Junket

Does the name make you curious?

Monday, October 29, 2007

Lucky

Not too long ago, I was having a discussion with a friend about how I find myself in the most interesting of situations. We went back and forth for a few minutes and I finally came to the conclusion that it is because I am lucky.

At twilight, I was on the phone with my brother as I drove home along 190 coming from Killeen into Belton. If you can envision it, there is a pretty steep incline as you travel east. In the distance I noticed some smoke, but just figured it was from some overzealous folks trying to enjoy their fireplaces as the harvest moon was becoming full . As I got closer, I realized it was a car on fire. There were no flashing lights yet and as I approached there was only one other car pulling over. I quickly told him I would call him back...but before he would let me go, he told me to make sure I was parked far enough back in case the gas tank blew up and to not do anything stupid. (As if!!)

For a second, I thought about driving on by....surely someone had called 911 already... and that I would just be in the way....but I recognized that the vehicle was a mini van. Not to be dramatic here...but it just moved me to my core thinking that there might be kids caught in there.

As I ran up to the van, Everyone had gotten out before it had fully engulfed and I was right. Someone had called 911. After confirming folks were ok, I retreated to my car (about 50 yards back) and drove away before I could get caught in traffic. In my rear view mirror I saw the flashing lights coming toward us. I passed the spectacle and could finally feel the heat on my face-even thru all the glass, metal and distance. I suppose I didn't realize how hot it was while I was next to it.

After I caught my breath, I called my brother back. I asked him who we got this strange trait from......Since my mom is a nurse and I can't count how many times we would pull over on the side of the road to help folks hurt in accidents or her administering CPR to some poor chap who collapsed in Wal-Mart---I fully expected him to say "Mom". In fact, mostly I meant the question to be rhetorical. More of a statement than a question. What is it about us?

Jason surprised me when he said we got it from our Dad. In fact, I started to make a case for Mom. I just didn't see it. Jason then proceeded to tell me a few stories of times he spent with Dad before he got so sick. Stuff I had never heard before. I hung up the phone, kinda sobered from my earlier excitement.

I rode the rest of the way to Temple in the thickness of contemplative silence. I quietly made dinner and it wasn't til I sat down to eat that I told Scott what had happened. Somehow sharing that little piece of my dad with Jason made him seem very near and I didn't want to break that connection by speaking too quickly.

How do I attract these happenings??.....I still think it is because I am lucky.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Scott Rushing said…

    I'm very glad that no one was hurt in that fire. And I'm proud to be married to a woman who has so much compassion for people.

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    ((blush))

    thank you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home