JingJing's Junket

Does the name make you curious?

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Back to School

Being back in the classroom is wonderful. I feel really alive and curious. I had forgotten how much my spiritual self could flourish in such a static, empirical environment. We were discussing how different systems in the body work individually and collectively. I am struck by the divine in the design of our bodies. How miraculous it is that babies are born! It sounds kinda silly, but I was almost moved to tears about the body's complexity.

Not that A&P is navel gazing, by any means! There is so much memory work necessary. I think that is the part that intimidates me the most. I can deal with new ideas and systems, but all the new vocabulary is a little overwhelming. I have decided to make flash cards to help me remember terms and locations of bones, tissues and other structures. I feel like I am in high school again. The good news tho....I love words and have taken Greek in the past and have spent some time with Latin to understand most of the root words. Mostly it is connecting the dots and matching up the name of the structure with its function.

My professor is a pretty interesting fella. He has been teaching biology for a long time. He knows his lectures like the back of his hand. He wears shorts and running sandals to class and makes stupid jokes while going thru the notes. I love it. I get his sense of humor. I find myself looking forward to every class meeting.

A couple of days ago, after class 2 young ladies approached me about forming a study group. I learn best in this model, so of course I agreed. They both said they came to me because it seemed by the questions that I asked that I "got it". They were pseudo complaining about how some of the "younger" folks in class seem to only be interested in feverishly writing down everything the professor says, word for word and not pausing to ask questions to understand or integrate the information into real life. After a few minutes of getting to know these women, we agreed on our study group and I then asked them how old they were........ Yep. One answered 23. The other, 21. I decided against sharing my age. Ill let them keep thinking I am just a few years older. :)

As of right now, my first exam will be on the 25th. I am working a little on my notes every day. This amount of knowledge is too great to cram at the last minute.

Back to work.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home