JingJing's Junket

Does the name make you curious?

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Snausages

80. Ive had surgery on my shoulder. 3 times. Some days, it still aches.

81. When I was about 2 or 3, I somehow stuffed a piece of foam rubber up my nose and couldn't get it out. Several weeks went by. My mother started to notice that I smelled funny. She bathed me, washed my hair. Nothing helped. Finally she took me to the doctor. Mold spores had grown into my sinus cavity and got infected. The ENT had to perform surgery. I recall coming out of the anesthesia and thinking I heard Darth Vader talking to me. I suspect it was just the nurse, but I'm still not sure. To this day, I still get queasy thinking about it. And then I decide to marry a Star Wars geek. Go figure.

82. My maternal grandmother was a member of the British Royal Air Force in WWII.

83. My maternal grandmother was also a champion ballroom dancer.

84. My maternal great grandmother (on my grandfather's side) was full blooded Cherokee Indian. Winnie Rose Reynolds.

85. When I was a kid, instead of a lemonade stand, I tried selling pine cones. I didn't make much money. In fact, I don't recall making any money at all. The law of supply and demand was a difficult one for young Jennifer.

86. Before my mother realized she was pregnant, she had hundreds of x-rays, tests and a serious bladder surgery. The doctor recommended that she have an abortion since the fetus was probably damaged by all the toxins and radioactive materials in her system. Fortunately for me, she decided against it. I don't think I have any congenital birth defects. Well, other than glowing in the dark.

87. I can float in a (relatively) still body of water for hours without the assistance of water wings or a turtle floaty ring.

88. When we first moved to Washington state, Mom and Paul got us two kittens. Despite using all my charm, I couldn't convince anyone of the name "Kelly". (My favorite color was green.) Instead, they named the pets "Tar Baby" and "Angel Face". Eventually we also had a cat named "Sugarfoot". For us kids, coming up with good names for animals was a pleasant past time.

89. Evidently, Jason and I ran out of naming inspiration when we got to having turtles around the house. By the time I left home for college, we had gone thru Scooter I, Scooter II, Scooter III, Scooter IV, Scooter V and Scooter VI. After I left, I am not sure if there were any more turtles or how many more Scooters there might have been.

90. Did I ever mention that early on I wasn't really all that excited about my first name? I used to hope that I could change my name to something a little more exotic. From the time I started Kindergarten, I was usually one of 2 or 3 Jennifers in any given class. I never wanted to be called Jenny, either. That sounded too diminutive. The only person I ever let call me by that name was my grandmother. I wanted a cool nickname, tho. But nothing ever stuck. I take that back. When my sisters were little, they couldn't pronounce "Jennifer". Instead, I became "Jing Jing". So there you have it. Jing Jing's Junket. You have finally discovered my secret. But I still wish I had a cool nick name. Like T-bone or J-Dawg.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:08 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    re 86. - Too bad you didn't come away with a cool superpower instead, like the ability to blog without typing, or eat ice cream without getting brain freeze.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home