JingJing's Junket

Does the name make you curious?

Monday, April 25, 2005

New Job

I have a new job. I started last week as a caseworker for a medical information company. I hesitate to state the company, as the disparaging words I might have for it might find their way back to bite me in the butt.
Lets put it this way. . . I am having the damnedest time trying to keep a good attitude. I have not had to "punch in" to a time clock since I was a teenager, working at Seessel's. I am limited to 35 hours a week, no overtime and no benefits worth mentioning. Did I mention that there is no dress code, except that you do have to wear shoes, but not flip flops. The fact that they have to say that little caviat during orientation tells me that many many people have tried to get away with houseshoes and shower shoes. I have no internet access at the office. I am also not allowed to use the company phone for personal calls. It has been drilled into my head that they will find out if I do. During my interview I was told that I was, "grossly overqualified". At first that was a compliment.
I am really glad to be employed. Really I am. I am just realizing how closely my self image and job satisfaction is intertwined.
Then we get to the salary situation. It is almost fully a third of what I was making in Nashville. The voice that dominates my thoughts is, "why did you bother getting a college degree and work all those years gaining valuable business experience, only to get a minimum wage job??" The only response I have is that I didnt anticipate moving to Waco, TX!!
Im sure this blog sounds pretty bratty and whiney. .. . oh well. Maybe it will get better after this week. I suppose its better than digging ditches. But not much.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Possum said…

    Jen, all I can say to you is that you must really, really love Scott to go to that job everyday. Think of this as one of the sacrifices you make to help him finish school. Ten years from now when you are driving your 740iL you can look back on the whole thing and laugh. Hey, maybe you'll get lucky and your supervisor will get a staph infection in a paper cut from the timecards and die so you can move up?

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Jeff said…

    Don't worry Jenn, it's just a stepping stone. You'll be back to the good life ASAP!

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Possum,

    No doubt. I love my Scooter.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Blogger Rann said…

    I think I will just keep my mouth shut on advice and wish you good luck!!!

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Eric C said…

    Just think.....In a year or two you can insist that people refer to you as "Mrs. Dr. Scott Rushing." Even at Phat Bites, cause Scotty's gonna take a teaching job back in Nashville. I just know it. I'll just call you'll the "Boomerangs" cause I know you're coming back.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Rann said…

    So has the new job gotten any better?

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger stacy said…

    Not bratty or whiny Jenn! I'm sorry you don't like your job. you don't have to stop looking just because you have one right?

    Oh and my job sounds similar. We all received emails recently reminding us that pajamas & pillows were not to be worn & brought to the office - even on the weekend. no need to guess why that email was sent!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home