JingJing's Junket

Does the name make you curious?

Thursday, March 24, 2005

Homesick

Can I just confess that I miss Nashville a whole heckofalot??

I think I am gonna write an ode to my favorite city, the city where I became an adult. The town where I truly fell in love with my husband, learned how to be a wife and a woman. And how to separate the two. . This is the place I started snipping my apron strings, and set that docile girl free. Of course, I don't think they will ever be severed.. . .They are now just thinner and run over fiber optic cables.

While Memphis' skyline is always impressive, coming across that Mississippi River bridge. .. My heart swells when I see the familiar lights of the Bat Building. Driving into Nashville at around 10pm Sunday night, I feel like I am being embraced by an old friend. The flickering of the Capitol and the other "skyscrapers" in town, blinking me a warm welcome in Morse code. Even at 1.5 million people, Music City is still a small town.

I was trying to wean myself from calling Tennessee, "back home" when I talk about the time in my life before Waco. I had kind of prided myself in my not-so-southern southern accent. My early years in Arkansas, the 3 formative years I spent in Washington . . .After I moved to Millington, I liked not being a Tennessean. It made me different from everyone. It made me special, distinctive. And now that I've left the Volunteer State, I long for it. I remember as a child, crying at night for my dear grandmother. . .2,000 miles away in Cash, AR. She was the embodiment of everything I knew. Everything familiar. And I find myself now, sometimes tearful at the distance from what I know.

Texas is a welcoming place. I've come in contact with some amazing people that will develop into life long friendships. Once we are able to invest some time in Waco, I know we can set down some roots, but Tennessee will always be my home. I just hope she remembers me when I come back.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger Jeff said…

    No worries, Jenn, I still refer to Tennessee as "back home," too, although I mean Memphis. But I still like it when I'm driving into Atlanta, come over the top of "Six Flags Hill" and see downtown displayed over the entire horizon. Assuming the smog isn't in the way.

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Rann said…

    You sure do get sentimental at 1:30 in the morning! :)

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Scott Rushing said…

    Hmmm, what do I miss about Nashville?

    friends
    family
    New York Experience
    Opry Mills (IMAX)
    Belcourt
    job opportunities for my Jenn
    O'Charley's
    pork bar-b-q
    Titans/Predators/Sounds
    Belmont basketball games
    101st Airborne restaurant
    Hillsboro Village

    What I don't miss:
    traffic
    construction
    30 minute drives to get places
    30 minutes to drive through Hillsboro Village

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Eric C said…

    Jen,

    You forgot Phat Bites!! Leah still talks about that place every time we drive down Donelson Pike. We think of our fun lunch every time we glance over at the building.

    And Nashville's skyline is WAY better than Memphis's. We may have the cool bridge, but Nashville is years ahead. In my opinion--that and a dollar will get you a minute in the massage chair at Opry Mills.

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    Eric,

    I didnt forget about it!! I ate there right before I flew into Austin last Thursday!! Strawberry Fields Salad, Greek Antipasto and Chinese Chicken. It doesnt get much better than that.

    Scott forgot to mention the mushroom-swiss burger at Darfon's. . .

    Gosh, why do we miss the FOOD so much??

     
  • At 12:55 PM, Blogger stacy said…

    don't kid yourself jenn you have a beautiful southern accent :) Look out for a current episode of Buster on PBS because he just visited Nashville and they show the bat building 4 times :)

    i hope you & scott do come back!

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Possum said…

    First, what the heck are you doing up at 1AM?
    Second, if blogs are just a place to WHINE you need to offer some CHEESE with it!!!!

    I'm sure Nashville misses Jenn too. At least I know Bella does!

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Possum said…

    First, what the heck are you doing up at 1AM?
    Second, if blogs are just a place to WHINE you need to offer some CHEESE with it!!!!

    I'm sure Nashville misses Jenn too. At least I know Bella does!

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    Jenn! Snap out of it! Quit staring at the picture of the bat building! Focus!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home