JingJing's Junket

Does the name make you curious?

Sunday, August 05, 2007

A Couple More

61. When I was little, my family attended a very small, country church in Pitts, Arkansas. There were probably 50 members or so. I recall there being an outhouse and being fearful of getting stung by a wasp or bitten by a snake on my bum. Once, during the benediction, I stood up on the pew and started singing "Shake Shake Shake Your Booty". I think I was about three years old. My granddad still reminds me of this little gem.

62. I have a picture of me in a red velvet dress and brown cowboy boots standing in the front of the above mentioned church for a Christmas Pageant. I must have been around four or five at the time and was supposed to memorize a part of the classic poem, "A Visit from St Nicholas" but couldn't remember the whole thing. Fortunately, Grandma was in the second row, and without me asking-came up to stand beside me on stage and whispered the poem in my ear so I could finish. I remember being so proud of myself for not crying and finishing the pageant. In hindsight, I am so grateful to Grandma for saving me from humiliation. I suspect she knew the gift she was giving me at the time, but had no idea how much it has affected me through the years.

63. I wish I would have dated more boys during high school. I am glad to be married to Scott, but think I would have had a broader appreciation for the world had I dated around more and seen other family dynamics than my own.

64. When I worked at Seessel's grocery store in high school, for one year I drew all the produce signs in chalk for that week's sales. I have never considered myself a good artist, but I enjoyed that part of my job.

65. I wasn't allowed to shave my legs until my birthday in 8th grade. I hated gym class while in junior high. Not because of the physical aspects of it, but because the girls teased me mercilessly for having furry legs.

66. I was on my high school's varsity golf team. I didn't know how to play, but they needed warm bodies to maintain our TSSAA standings and I fit the bill. My coach was very kind and taught me as well as he could. Thanks Coach Stallings!

67. Back when my parents only allowed me to listen to non-secular music, I convinced them that the CD entitled "Faith" by George Michael was a Christian record. Tee hee.

68. I love shopping at Goodwill, Salvation Army, thrift stores, consignments stores and the like. Not only do I adore all the crazy things I find there, I refuse to spend full price on anything I could theoretically get at one of these bargain places. Even at TJMaxx or Marshall's....I rarely buy anything not in the clearance bin. It is like sticking it to the man! And heaven knows I like sticking it to the man.

69. I see patterns in everyday items. Radial and bi-lateral symmetry. The tiles on the floor in the bathroom. Cabinets. Music. Colors on the bindings of books. Flowers. Supposedly its due to my mental acuity. I tend to think it is just one more way the man tries to make me think I am crazy.

70. I love the smell of leather. (no comments from the peanut gallery)

2 Comments:

  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger Rann said…

    There was a rumor that you were back, but I still don't believe it!!

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    I think "Shake Shake Shake Your Booty" is a Psalm, so you're fine there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home